I made my first ever dress today, using scraps from M-‘s wedding dress and a hideously kitsch sheet I bought in a charity shop.

front

I'm not posing, just holding my hair off the collar. 😛

It wasn’t a huge success, and I can’t help but feel that my day might have been better spent working out some kind of fence for my vegetable patch, but part of me is a little proud. In hindsight, I should have chosen something simpler. I think the clean lines of the 1960s pattern I used were somewhat deceptive though – it doesn’t look all that hard, but the skewy empire line was impossible. Also, the fact that the pattern was far too big – despite the envelope claiming that it was a size 12 – made it very difficult. I did take it in after sewing it, but it could have been better. A lot better.

It’s really hard to see something less than perfect come from your hours of labour. I had the most wonderful idea in my head of an exciting, stylish dress and though I like the colour combination, and the individual parts of the garment, I think it looks poor in combination. Bad craftsmanship shows, apparently. It’s frustrating that the only way to improve is to persevere through these initial problem stages and continue until the clothes coming from your machine are actually wearable. I definitely need more practice, and I need to have more self-discipline – you can’t just start on quirky cuts straight off. Learning the basics is vital to making something good.

In short, I’ve mixed feelings about this creation. Whilst I am a little disheartened, I will try again, perhaps with some specially bought fabric this time….

Advertisements